Monday, August 18, 2008

Tropical Storm Fay

Not really real estate, but what the heck.
Ok, so what do Floridians do when a big storm is on the horizon?
My wife and I have been here five years, which in my book qualifies us as Floridians. You’d definitely get an argument about that form the true natives.
I think the easiest preparation is to grab a jet to Chicago.
That not being practical, we start by letting the refrigerator contents run down. We didn’t buy one of those natural gas generators that look large enough to power up the space station. But it’s on our list… Everyone gasses up the cars before the storm. I thought this was silly at first. Then one year I saw the Palm Beach area without power for a couple of weeks. No electric, no gas pumps running. Here’s a good one. We fill up our bathtubs with water. That way, if those of us who are on a well loose electric, we can get water from the tub to put into the toilet to get it to flush. Northerners serviced by the county for water do it just because everyone else does. Now out to the garden. My wife has lots of really cute “things” in the garden. Tin frogs, metal butterflies, on metal poles, lots of plastic flamingos, you get the picture. Well, all that stuff has to go into the garage. Air born objects, you know. I spent the afternoon lightly pruning the palm trees. Not a pleasant task, but my last landscaper killed a palm from over pruning, so I do the trees myself. Of course, the pool area has to be evacuated of chairs, tables, more tin frogs on metal poles, and those relay neat large potted plants that suddenly aren’t so neat as you drag them into shelter. Other neighbors are putting their window protection devices of their choice. I have never sweat so much in my life.
One last thing to mention… This was all for tropical storm Fay, which is one day away. It may be a Cat 1 hurricane by tomorrow; it may not. If my wife wants all those tin things back in the garden after this storm do you think they'll go back there? Darn right… mama didn’t raise a fool!

No comments: